Friday, January 18, 2013

beyond flat earth medicine

So here's another Great book report done by Akwi! I had ordered the book myself but just today as Akwi shared her book report with me, I got the book in the mail so am very excited to read this one.  Akwi has allowed me to share her book report and of course, I will be putting it in the Must Read section of my Blog. Below, the skinny on this skinny little book that I am considering having to put off homework to digest before I get to the rest of my reading... seriously, who am I?

Book Report by Akwi
First Year Student
January 2013
Title: Beyond Flat Earth Medicine by Timothy R Dooley, ND, MD.
I chose the book “Beyond flat earth medicine” By Timothy R Dooley, N.D., M.D. for my book report. This book was my first introduction to Homeopathy. I had seen the remedies in stores before but did not have a clue what they were. I have to admit that this was the first book I have read from beginning to end since nursing school-years ago. I could not put this book down, I love the easy read of it and right from the preface I was sold.
Nutrition, complementary, holistic and alternative medicine have always been my passion, but it was not until I picked up this book that I knew I had found exactly what I had been looking for. In my current occupation as an RN I have often felt like the outcast. I am an employee of the conventional medical system, working in a hospital. I respect this system and believe there to be a time and a place for it but I also recognize the lack of consideration in the treatment of the person as a whole, especially if the goal is for total health. I always felt like their was something else, I needed something that I could go all into, something that addressed the issues at their source. After reading this introductory book to homeopathy I felt empowered to make a change and pursue further investigation into this wonderful world of homeopathy. My search began and I landed right into the Los Angeles School of Homeopathy... Wow! I will give you my condensed version of this wonderful book, and continue to pass this on to the layperson looking for answers for healthy enlightenment. This book is so special because the author is not only a Naturopathic doctor, he is a Medical doctor as well. After all the years of his extensive education, homeopathy is still his number one choice, and he explains why to the reader.
This book is an extremely easy read with clear sections laid out so that you know exactly what area he is speaking on. Dooley also uses real cases to illustrate his examples of this highly developed science. The title of this book is a comparison of the old/traditional way of thinking - that the earth was flat and the patient was treated from the disease perspective. He explains that if you treat the patient as a whole, as homeopathy does, the disease will resolve naturally as the patient recovers. This is the spherical view of the earth. Beyond the “flat earth” way of thinking.
This book touches on the history of this highly developed science, and answers many questions that may arise as one reads this. Giving them the basics, but also the proper information to help them research further. This book sparked so much interest in me that it has lead me on the path to a career change that is positive and promising. Finally I will have the power to help people achieve ultimate health.
I love to recommend this book to everyone. It is a great introduction for the inquiring mind all the way to the skeptics. Some choose to throw away the idea of anything other than conventional medicine for their health care needs, this is when this book, written by a Medical Doctor comes in real handy. Many people want to listen when “the experts” are talking and value their opinions no matter what. Guess what? Just as Dooley says, because “the experts” did not learn about homeopathy in medical school, does not mean it should be dismissed. Treating the person as a whole and the appreciation for the body to heal itself is not something one will learn in medical school.
Dooley explains key differences between conventional medicine and homeopathy. That in allopathic/conventional medicine the patients symptoms are only covered up and suppressed. In Homeopathy symptoms are an expression of the vital force pointing the practitioner in the direction of what remedy is needed for the cure. Disease is almost irrelevant in Homeopathy. If the patient fails to tell the homeopathic practitioner of a certain symptom, that undesirable symptom may still be cured if they were matched with the correct remedy by the practitioner. This is not the case in allopathy. The same symptom that speaks to the homeopath risks being covered up, pushed inside, and confusing the case even more. Confusion occurs due to the symptoms being suppressed leaving an unclear picture or trail back to the source of the disruption or ailments. Masking the symptoms would be the same as someone covering bread crumb markers left by Hansel and Gretel to find their way back home. This disruption in the vital force can be aligned back to homeostasis with the appropriate remedy selection.
The book continually emphasizes the importance of treating the person as a whole, not just the sum of an individual’s symptoms. “Conventional medicine by choice, ignores the totality of a patient’s symptoms because conventional medicine has no means to use this information.” (p. 19 Dooley) It is this reason that allopathic medicine has its limits thus its effectiveness are limited. It is this reason why your MD asks what your symptoms are and your Homeopath asks who you are. It is the subtle nuances in our personality and daily lives that reflect the nature and condition of our vital force. Our nuances, corks, experiences, tragedies, triumphs, peculiars etc., have significance as do physical symptoms in determining an individual’s ally or remedy to coax the vital force to its full potential. Conventional medicine attempts to force the body to adjust its vital force, creating a ying and yang, sea saw, push and pull situation where the vital force is constantly pushed to one side or another of homeostasis. Dooley expresses, “True healing cannot be forced. It is a process which a person attains a higher level of health and the disease resolves naturally. This what Homeopathy is all about.”
Dooley’s accounts of his homeopathic experience has led to his vast understanding of health beyond conventional medicine. The necessity to see the whole person in their totality not just the partial person, but the whole set of symptoms. Curing the person will eliminate symptoms but eliminating symptoms does not cure the whole person. The source of disruption will manifest itself into new symptoms, in new areas. Truths such as these are what led Timothy R. Dooley, N.D., M.D. to choose Homeopathy above all other Medical Sciences. The discovery of the spherical Earth led to the more accurate mapping and understanding of our world as the discovery of Homeopathy has led to the more accurate mapping and understanding of our body (referring to medical science). Once you know the Earth is round, Flat Earth concepts become antiquated.
Hopefully, I’ll see you all around the bend in this spherical world of ours:) 


Reports worth writing and reading ~ I did read the book in 3 hours! 

No comments:

Post a Comment