Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wednesday's word

MODALITY ~ a condition that makes the ill person or a particular symptom better or worse; a circumstance giving rise to an increase or decrease of a symptom. For instance, the patient is (<) from wet weather, after midnight and from cold drinks; or he is better (>) from heat, elevating the head and from warm/hot drinks. Modalities are helpful in choosing the correct remedy. Yasgur's dictionary

"Modalities are conditions that influence or modify drug action. The main group are time, temperature, weather, motion, menstruation, position, perspiration, eating and emotion. A practical point also is that there are two types of modalities: 1) those that apply to the person as a whole, 2) those that apply to a person's particular complaint or involve an organ." Principles of Homeopathy (G. Boericke)

Sometimes these modalities are written as aggravated or ameliorated, aggr. or amel. instead of the < or >.  And sometimes, an aggravation can be a good sign of getting better, not worse. 

Interesting for me to see how in Allopathic situations, I don't ever recall my Doctor asking me if I was better with a cold drink or what my emotional situation was when my back was aching for weeks?
Just saying, I love Homeopathy, it goes deep, it's full and defined.
>for homeopathy, < when not studying

No comments:

Post a Comment